Doesn’t your mouth water at the sight of juicy, tender, well-grilled chicken? Don’t we all just hate when our sincere efforts at grilling and smoking chicken goes down the drain as the end result is always dry, burnt, foul?
It happens to the best of us. It is a tough process. Even simple things like the temperature, spices, timing can mess up the whole thing. But don’t think that the perfection can’t be reached or that it will be time-consuming. It is actually very easy.
Here are some tips to grill your chicken just right using pellet smokers in this informative article.
It is very well known that the oil you use in the marinade (which is essentially is the mixture of oil, spices in which the chicken is soaked beforehand) makes a whole lot of a difference in the flavor.
Olive oil seems to be the best choice. As mentioned above that temperature and timing also play a role but taking those as constant, it’s the oil that becomes the game changer and many people just ignore its role in the whole cooking process.
Another thing to look out for is to make sure that the marinade you use isn’t too overwhelming or overpowering as it should complement the chicken rather than just sideline it. The chicken should be the champion of the dish so don’t mask its own taste.
It’s a common occurring that some of us usually pack the chicken in one big piece of foil. It is advisable to wrap each piece individually which gives it the desired environment to turn tender and juicy. Avoid opening it during the procedure so that all the flavors are locked in.
It becomes an important aspect to maintain a temperature well above 200 F so make sure to supply the pellets as and when needed.
Sprinkle the marinade you made on both sides well so that it is coated properly while you start to cook.
We usually need to preheat the pellet smoker for best results but some of us lack patience. You have to wait until you get a good smoke.
A lesser appreciated component is that the type of wood pellets used also have an impact on the final result and hickory pellets are found to be the best.
Its main components are:
- Chicken pieces
- Marinade (as per your tastes and likes)
- Start by washing and drying the chicken well and then wrap the pieces up in good quality aluminum foil
- Place the pieces in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the pellet smoker at around 250 F.
- Once a good smoke is obtained, add the wrapped chicken to the smoker and close the lid for around 2.5 hours.
- It is important to make sure that chicken is cooked through and through so the internal temperature also needs to be known which should be about 150 F.
- Wrap the chicken lightly again and let it rest for around 10 minutes.
- Now, slice it and it becomes ready to serve!