The other day when I was at the Chester Farmer’s Market, I picked up a huge bunch of fresh basil for 2.00.
I knew exactly what I wanted to make with it, Pesto!!! Pesto is an Italian sauce made with parmesan cheese, garlic, basil, pine nuts and olive oil. It can be used over pasta, as a marinade, tossed with vegetables or as a dip. One of our favorite ways to use pesto is to make Pizza. It is ww friendly because I used reduced fat mozzarella and the weight watchers recipe for pesto. Make a big batch of pesto and then freeze portions in a muffin tin. When the pesto is frozen pop out the “muffins” and place in a freezer safe bag for later use! Enjoy
Chicken Pesto Pizza
WW Pesto Recipe – makes 1 cup – you only need ½ cup for the pizza
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 2 cup(s) basil, leaves, fresh
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), peeled
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 store bought bag of pizza dough or homemade if you like
- 1 cup of reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- ½ onion sliced into strips
- 2 chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Optional – chopped fresh tomato
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sauté chicken pieces and onion in olive oil in a medium size frying pan, until browned and cooked well.
- Lightly flour your pan.
- Stretch pizza dough to cover the pan you are using, about 12 inches around. (we use a pizza stone)
- Bake just the crust for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Spread ½ cup of pesto over the crust.
- Sprinkle the chicken and onion mixture over the pesto.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of the entire pizza.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Cut into 8 pieces.
6 points + per slice.
What is your favorite type of pizza???