Santa Sprinkle cookies are all ready for tomorrow’s polar express train ride. The kids had fun making them with me and of course licking the bowl! These cookies are light and fluffy and do not require you to refrigerate the dough before baking. They puff up in the middle to give a wonderful texture and they look pretty too! The sprinkles create an icing on top when they melt. You can be creative with the sprinkle colors depending on the holiday or time of year. The kids love to help me roll them in the different colors.
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup multicolor sprinkles
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Stir in the flour mixture into butter mixture until just combined.
5. Place the sprinkles in a small bowl. Scoop up a large tablespoon of dough and roll it between your palms to form a ball. Roll the top half of each ball in the sprinkles.
6. Place the balls, sprinkle side up on baking sheet sprayed with pam. Bake the cookies until they are pale golden around the edges but still soft on top, about 11 minutes. Let them stand on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove them with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookies may be placed next to each other on parchment-lined baking sheets, frozen, transferred to zipper-lock plastic freezer bags, and stored in the freezer for up to 1 month. Frozen cookies may be placed in the oven directly from the freezer and baked as directed for 12 minutes.