Yogurt!! Ahhh creamy, velvety deliciousness! We go through a lot of yogurt in our house. My kids eat it every day for snack and almost daily for lunch. I make a lot of recipes using greek yogurt, that are sooo delicious. It is expensive to buy yogurt constantly, but I think I found a solution – CROCK POT GREEK YOGURT!!! I was so excited when I found this recipe over at A year of slowcooking.
Here are some reasons why I love Greek yogurt!
- It fills you up.
- It has luxurious texture.
- It’s thicker and creamier than regular yogurt.
- My kids love it.
- It is full of calcium and protein.
- It’s good for the digestive system, because it has tons of probiotics.
9 Reasons why making it yourself is a great idea.
- You can throw it in the crock pot at night and it is ready in the morning for breakfast or snacks.
- It’s A LOT cheaper – a Greek yogurt from the grocery store is 1.59 each, this method is only .30 per yogurt.
- You help our planet, by using glass or plastic reusable containers.
- You can flavor it to your liking with fresh fruit, Agave Syrup, cinnamon, granola, sugar free Jam, pure maple syrup etc.
- Because you’re growing your own cultures, you know they are active and what the length of the shelf-life is about 7 days from when you make it.
- It will have a lot less Sugar: Most yogurts have 5 teaspoons of sugar in a 6 oz. yogurt! Flavoring yogurt yourself allows you to control the amount of sugar you add.
- No Strange ingredients: Pectin, Artificial coloring/flavors, modified corn starch, high fructose corn syrup, Aspartame, gelatin, citric acid, and many other additives can be found on yogurt labels in your local grocery store.
- You can choose a local organic milk source that you trust.
- It’s VERY easy to make and the kids think it is cool!!
Crock Pot Greek Yogurt