Watching what I eat is a daily struggle. I love sweets, chips and have difficulty saying “No” to bacon, cheese fries. My goal on a daily basis is to record all of my points and try to make the best decisions I can. One of my readers, Lori, has asked me to give her some ideas on what I eat on a daily basis to keep me full, satisfied and not wanting to stick my head in a bag of Cheetos. Here are some meal ideas that are yummy, easy and keep me full! Lots of protein and less carbs are key! Snack at least 2 -3 times a day! I have this list posted on my fridge. Print it out and choose as you go!
Try and add veggies to every meal – stock your fridge with your favorites
Things to avoid or use VERY moderately-
- white potatoes
- red meat
- Baked Goods
- Fried Foods
- 1 cup Kashi Go Lean Original cereal and 1 cup of vanilla almond milk – 4 points +
- egg sandwich – a egg, 1 wedge light laughing cow cheese, 1 Arnold’s thin bread and 2 slices of ham – 7 points +
- Omelet – 2 egg whites. 1 wedge light laughing cow cheese. 2 slices ham, veggies (mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers) – 2 points +
- Egg, 2 slices bacon, 1 piece of high fiber toast with 1 tsp butter – 7 points +
(Use Arnold’s thins for bread – 3 points + each)
- veggie burger with lettuce, tomato, pickles, mustard and ketchup – 6 points +
- Turkey or ham sandwich with laughing cow cheese wedge, lettuce, tomato – 5 points +
- Salad with grilled chicken or cut up lunch meat with small amount of low cal dressing – no cheese, olives etc. (I like to toss the chicken with buffalo sauce to make it spicy)
- add a piece of fruit, fresh veggies, pita chips or pickles for a side.
- a palm size piece of grilled low fat protein (chicken, fish, pork) 3 -5 points +
- for sides -
- Big salads
- Brown rice – 4 points + a cup
- lentils, cooked with onions, garlic and simmered in chicken broth 4 points + a cup
- Whole grain Pasta – 4 points + a cup
- Limit breading, cheeses, sauces etc.
Snacking- at least 2 a day
- 5 pita chips with ¼ cup hummus – 5 points +
- 10 pita chips with salsa - 4 points +
- laughing cow cheese wedge with 10 mini pretzels – 4 points +
- Kashi granola bars – 4 points +
- Fruit 0 points +
- Veggies and dip (low calorie/ fat dressing- I love Bolthouse ranch) 2 points +
- Smart Pop individual Popcorn 2 points +
- Snackwell protein bars – the chocolate ones are awesome! 3 points +
- Jello Mousse cups 1 point +
- 1 dove chocolate square 1 point +
- fruit Popsicle 1 point +
- 90 calorie fiber one brownies 2 points +
Hopefully this list will help you with some ideas!
Here is a super low point dinner or side recipe for you!!! It is very filling and just as satisfying as a big bowl of pasta!
Zucchini “Pasta” with a Fresh Tomato Sauce