The recipe I chose to feature in this post is one that has been sitting in my recipe box for over a year. I get Food Network magazine and love tearing out recipes that sound and look delicious. I am a huge fan of Buffalo wings. I love the spicy kick mixed with the creaminess of the blue cheese dressing. However, in restaurants they are deep fried and very high in points!! So when I took out this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese I knew the nutritional info was going to be scary….IT WAS!!!!
Each serving had 868 calories, 48.2 grams of fat, 1465 mg of sodium, 79.6 grams of carbs, 3.9 grams of fiber and 28.9 grams of protein! 1 cup was 23 points + each!!! Ouch!!!
So I decided to modify the recipe with some healthy alternatives. I swapped out the half and half for 1 % milk, used low fat cheese and sour cream and opted for whole wheat pasta. I was able to shave a whopping 15 points off per serving, so 1 cup is only 8 points +!! This was spicy, creamy, cheesy and just down right awesome!!! Enjoy and make sure to Check out my full post over at Danica’s Daily! Make sure and enter my Food Should Taste Good Chip Giveaway Here!
Light Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
Adapted from Food Network
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons hot sauce (preferably Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce)
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/4 cups 1 % milk
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat shredded cheese blend of cheddar, Monterey Jack and mozzarella
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup light blue cheese dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 7 baked tortilla chips crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes, then add 1/4 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 more minute.
3. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the milk, then add the remaining 2 tablespoons hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
4. Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining macaroni. Pour the cheese sauce evenly on top.
6. Top with blue cheese dressing, crushed tortilla chips, and parsley. Bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings, 8 points + each
Nutritional information, 1/6 of casserole – 8 points +
297 calories, 10.6 grams of fat, 94 mg of sodium, 32.3 grams of carbs, 1.2 grams fiber, 17 grams protein