I just found these at the grocery store today! So yummy!!!
On to the recipe:
Ever eye those whole roaster chickens in the grocery store and wonder….what exactly can I do with that? I have done roast chicken a variety of ways, but right after I had the baby in January, my sister came to visit with an amazing recipe. This chicken was juicy and succulent and the potatoes were crisp on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside. Heaven!! You can cook two chickens at a time and double the potatoes and use the leftovers for soup or shred the chicken for enchiladas. This will be a family favorite for sure and won’t blow your healthy eating out of the water. I am making it for my Hubby tonight, since all the kiddos will be sleeping at Grandma and Grandpas. Don’t they say that they way to a man’s heart is through his stomach ? Enjoy!
Roast Lemon and Fresh Herb Chicken with Caramelized Potatoes
Serving size varies
- 1 3 1/2 – 4 lb. chickens
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch of fresh Thyme and Sage Leaves or about ¼ cup each.
- 1 large lemon cut into quarters
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes cut into eighths
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or enough to lightly coat potatoes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450
- Prepare chicken by removing anything out of the cavity and rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Place to a large plate.
- Place cut potatoes in the bottom of your roasting pan and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Salt and pepper the cavity of the chicken.
- Stuff chicken with lemon, fresh herbs and garlic cloves.
- Place chicken on top of the potatoes or on a roasting rack. This is the one I have.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place pan in the oven.
- Toss the potatoes occasionally and baste chicken with pan juices until thermometer reads 165 F (about 1 hour)
Points+ with Skin: drumstick 2 pts, wing 3 pts, thigh 4 pts, 4 oz breast 5 pts
5 points + for 8 pieces of caramelized potatoes