I love Mexican food. Whenever my husband and I go out to dinner (which is not much with 3 kids) we go to our favorite Mexican restaurant Puerto Vallarta. I get a Pollo Asado burrito with grilled veggies and tomatillo green salsa and he gets Arroz con Pollo a chicken and rice dish. Overall it tends to be a pretty fattening meal, but it is delicious. I decided to create a light version of chicken enchiladas using low carb tortillas and of course Greek Yogurt. They turned out spicy, creamy and delicious. You can also top these with a green sauce if that is more your thing. My family loved them and we served them with fat free refried beans! Enjoy!
Light Chicken Enchiladas
5 servings- 2 enchiladas a person
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 7oz can chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup light shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 bottle of enchilada sauce 8 – 10 oz each
- 10 low carb wheat tortillas ( I used trader joes brand)
- 1 avocado
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Chop the onion, pepper and celery. Mince the garlic.
- Spray a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add chili powder, onion, garlic, pepper and celery. Sauté until onion is tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from the pan.
- Spray pan with cooking spray and add chicken and sauté until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked vegetables to the chicken mixture. Add green chilies, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup yogurt, and mix well. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto one tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down in the oiled baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour sauce over the top. Sprinkle remainder of cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400F for 20 minutes, until heated through and cheese is bubbly.
To Serve: Cut avocado into small slices. Put 2 enchiladas on each plate, add 2 slices of the avocado and dollop of the greek yogurt.
2 enchiladas with toppings 8 points +
(I calculated the points by adding the points from each item and then dividing it by the number of servings)