The word paella usually evokes the thoughts of sweating over the stove for hours or a big dollar sign might be popping into your head….don’t you need lobster? The answer is no, you can make a healthy, really delicious, inexpensive paella in 30 minutes. My husband loves to cook and he undertook this recipe and tweaked it to fit our tastes and my weight watchers points. I must say, he did an awesome job! It was slightly spicy and I liked that it was a meal in one. Your veggies, meat and starch all in one plate!….and for only 7 pts + for a big helping, you can’t go wrong!!
30 minute Spanish Paella
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tsp saffron (you can buy this at Trader Joe’s for 5.00 a bottle)
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 oz of hot turkey sausage
- 7 oz o cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 pinch of cayenne for a little heat!
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and cook, stirring until slightly softened.
2. Add the tomatoes, peas, red pepper, zucchini, Italian seasoning, old bay and saffron and cook stirring for 2 minutes. Pour in
the stock and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
3. While the rice is cooking, chop the chicken and sausage into bite size pieces and cook in a frying pan.
4. After the rice has been cooking for 15 minutes, add the chicken and sausage and cook for an additional 15-20m minutes, until
the rice is soft.
5. Add the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes.
1 cups per serving ( 7 pts +)